New digital driver's licence
The NSW digital driver licence makes it easy for people to access a digital version of their driver licence on the go.
Millions of NSW citizens use their driver's licence for identification, however only a physical option was available in an increasingly digitised environment.
What the NSW Government did
In one of the biggest reforms in the state's history, the NSW Government developed a digital version of the NSW driver's licence through the Service NSW app.
The digital driver's licence can be used across NSW at no additional cost and is accepted by most pubs, clubs and the NSW Police.
It’s optional and doesn’t replace the plastic card. There are conditions for using the digital driver's licence that holders need to know about.
What was achieved
A digital version of the NSW driver's licence is now available through the Service NSW app at no additional cost.
The digital driver's licence also:
- updates in real time, so you no longer have to wait for a new plastic card to be posted when your licence is renewed or if you change your details
- works offline and can be viewed when you have no data coverage, as long as you stay logged in to the Service NSW app
- provides protection for your licence information through the security on your phone (PIN, fingerprint, facial recognition) as well as the security of the Service NSW app.
To get your digital driver's licence, you’ll need to:
- download the latest version of the Service NSW app to your smartphone
- login to the app with your MyServiceNSW account details and follow the prompts.
You will need a MyServiceNSW account that’s linked to Roads to access your digital driver licence. The Service NSW app will walk you through the registration and linking process.