While IPART is a NSW Government agency, its decisions are made independently of the government.
The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal sets maximum prices and regulates monopoly utilities across most energy, water, transport and local government services in NSW. IPART also undertakes reviews and inquiries to provide independent economic and policy advice to the NSW Government.
IPART’s decisions and advice are made independently of government, and are designed to protect and enhance the ongoing interests of the consumers, taxpayers and people of NSW and typically seek to:
- protect consumers of regulated services from unreasonable price hikes and price gouging
- ensure that regulated service providers remain financially viable
- encourage regulated service providers to improve their economic efficiency and maintain or improve their service quality
- encourage competition where possible
- ensure that regulated service providers comply with their licence conditions in terms of customer service, safety, health and the environment.
IPART also administers the NSW Energy Savings Scheme.
For customer service enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 9290 8400 between 8:30 am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
You can visit the IPART website at: ipart.nsw.gov.au