NSW Government website cost reporting guide
This guide will help you to complete the website cost reporting form which will help the NSW Government to track how the consolidation of departmental websites is reducing the overall cost of website maintenance.
Before you use the form
To complete the form, you will need to obtain the following information for each website or URL that you manage or maintain:
You can submit the costs of up to 10 websites or URLs in the form. If you manage more than 10, then please use the form as many times as required to submit the costs for all of your websites and URLs.
If you have no costs for a particular category for the reporting period, simply enter 0.
You do not have to report on Full-time equivalent (FTE) staffing costs as part of this form. Contract staff are covered in the categories below.
This form is to be completed every 6 months for the previous 6 month’s costs.
The reporting periods are:
- 1 July to 31 December
- 1 January to 30 June
What are ongoing costs?
This includes the costs relating to general maintenance and updating of the websites such as:
- Hosting and infrastructure
- Hosting services
- Domain name costs
- Support and maintenance (hardware and software)
- Website tools (incl. CMS, analytics, databases)
- Security costs (incl. firewalls, security certificates, audits, encryption, third party testing)
- Record keeping (incl. archiving, back-ups)
- Technical support
- Ongoing site maintenance
- Updating content
- Moderating and reviewing content
- Web analytics (eg. Tag implementation, reports and evaluations)
- Satisfaction and usability surveys and research
- Contract staff related to ongoing work covered above.
What are project costs?
This includes costs relating to funding of specific projects to perform work on the websites such as:
- Strategy and planning
- Developing strategy
- Strategic website research (incl. surveys, benchmarking, user research)
- System architecture planning
- Technical and creative specification documents
- Procurement and supplier management
- Project management
- Contract staff funded as part of a project
- Creative and design
- Creative work (incl. moodboards, concepts, creative research)
- Design work (incl. wireframes and information architecture)
- Programming and configuration (incl. integration with other systems, scripts)
- Accessibility and web standards work
- Search engine optimisation (incl. content, strategy and reporting)
- Building website components (incl. text, images, video, audio, search, tools, social media)
- Creating content (incl. video, imagery, translations)
- Decommission activities (incl. archiving, re-directs, domain transfers)
- Technical testing (incl. Architecture testing, penetration testing, browser testing, load testing)
- User testing
- Accessibility testing (eg. Validation against WCAG2.0AA, assistive technology testing)
- User acceptance testing
- Automated testing